Friday, August 31, 2012

Evergreen Lake House

This past Sunday, Andrew, my best friends, and me went with Phuong's family to Evergreen. I love Evergreen. It's not too far of a drive from the city, but it feels like you're in the middle of the mountains. From our house, it's a 30 minute drive straight west. There are little shops (including coffee shops, of course!), but the biggest draw is the lake. At Evergreen Lake House, you can rent canoes, kayaks, floating tricycles, and paddle boats.

Obviously, boating isn't for babies or toddlers, but it is so much fun for school-aged kids.  Phuong's brothers (13 and 10) came with us and had a blast paddling the canoes.  We saw a child around the age of 4 sitting in a paddle boat between her parents (in a life jacket, of course!).  It made me wonder if Oliver will be old enough to come with us next summer. Probably not. I think that will depend on whether or not he's able to swim. There were lots of kids around the ages of 6 or 7 in the back of paddle boats. Just a few more years, and we can take our kids!

Well, I'd be lying if I didn't admit it was nice to get out with Andrew and my friends without having to juggle the kids. The day was so beautiful--not too hot and with a little cloud cover.



What a wonderful way to spend a Sunday morning! Afterwards, Phuong's uncle treated us to dim sum at Super Star Asian Cuisine in Denver. We got chrysanthemum tea (check out the flowers in our tea pot!), and, as a vegetarian, I got crispy noodles, egg custard cups, and fried dough wrapped in rice crepes. My friends enjoyed pork dumplings, shrimp rice crepes, and BBQ. Cactus is from Hong Kong, and he told me people there eat dim sum for breakfast or brunch almost daily.


This weekend, most people are off for three days in honor of Labor Day. I look forward to the extra day with my family, especially since the weather has been so mild for us recently. What are you up to this weekend? Doing anything special? Relaxing with the family? Enjoying one last barbeque?

Happy Friday!

No comments: