Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day 2012







Happy Fourth of July from Oliver and Joanna!  This is Joanna's first Independence Day, and I'm sorry to say that it's not going to be the most spectacular one ever celebrated.  Fire danger is high in Colorado, so they enacted a ban on the sale and use of all fireworks for individuals.  It was left up to the counties as to whether or not they would proceed with public fireworks displays, and most counties cancelled (including ours).

I have some glow sticks, so we'll go outside after the sun sets and play with those.  Besides a little flag waving (which is fun for a two year old), that's pretty much the extent of our celebration this year.

This year, I'd just like to say that I'm thankful for my country's recognition of the right to free speech.  I'm glad I can speak my mind, and debating different ideas is good for democracy.  Thank you to everyone who allows the people around you to share their opinions.  That said, I'm also thankful for our new health care laws, which have allowed all children to have access to healthcare by no longer allowing insurance companies to deny children for pre-existing conditions, and have allowed young adults to remain on their parents' health insurance while they finish college. My oldest was denied health insurance when he was just a few months old, despite of the fact that there had never been a lapse in his coverage. I'm glad there will be no parents in this country who will ever have to deal with that again. This has been a good year for our country.

Happy Fourth of July!

No comments: