Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pinterest Challenge Day 2: Groundhog's Day Dessert

Happy Groundhog's Day! Puxatawney Phil spotted his shadow this morning, which means we're in for six more weeks of winter. The forecast seems to support that, as we're expecting eight inches of snow tomorrow.

In honor of this little holiday, I decided to do this pin for day two of the Pinterest Challenge:
http://pinterest.com/pin/216383957066066367/

Yesterday, Oliver really wanted to use the food processor, so I decided to get a jump on today's pin. We dumped a bunch of Oreos into the food processor and chopped them up. Then, we got busy making pudding (I used Jello-brand chocolate pudding). If you like instant pudding or pudding cups, you can use those, too. I don't like the aftertaste of either of those, so we made pudding on the stove. I let Oliver mix until it started to get hot, and then I took over. I spooned them into three separate bowls, sealed them with plastic wrap, and stuck them in the fridge to wait for today.

Then came the fun part: making the groundhogs. Oliver and I melted chocolate chips in the microwave, and, using toothpicks, we drew two eyes and a nose on each of three Nilla Wafer cookies. Actually, I say three, but that's a lie. Twice, Oliver swiped a face cookie and ate it. That's OK; it gave me more practice. Once I had three, uneated cookies with faces on them, I used the melted chocolate to attach sliced almonds to the top of the "head" to act as the ears. Tada! Instant groundhogs.

Just in case you're thinking my son is a child prodigy, I want to clarify that, no, he did not make actual faces. He enjoyed drawing chocolate lines and dots on the cookies. These groundhog faces were my doing:

I sealed the groundhog Nilla Wafers in plastic wrap. I stuck the chopped up Oreos in a plastic baggie. The pudding was chilling in the fridge. Everything was ready and waiting for today, which made today the easiest "pin day" ever. After dinner, all I had to do was sprinkle Oreo crumbs on the bowls of pudding to look like dirt and stick a groundhog cookie in it to peek up out of the delicious earth.

Here's our final product:

Verdict? Delicious! But, of course, we knew it would be. I'm glad I'm blogging about this pin because it will remind me to do it for years to come. Who knows? Maybe next year, Oliver will be making actual faces on the groundhogs!

No comments: