Monday, July 4, 2011

100 (Attempted) Ways to Entertain a Young Toddler, Day 6: The Hose



I went outside to water the flowers yesterday and decided to hand Oliver the spray nozzle. He was a little flabbergasted by being handed such an important tool. Unfortunately, he didn't see, to get over his initial shock and just stood there, holding the nozzle. I tried to encourage him to water the flowers (he loves flowers). He didn't even try. About five minutes went by, and then he wanted to go inside.

I decided his reaction wasn't really worth blogging about. I waited until today and tried again. Oliver had the same, stunned reaction. I then decided that I can't only review successful toddler activities, so I decided to follow through with this one.

I'm not sure what grade to give this activity. He didn't do anything except touch the water a couple times, but he appeared interested. I think he was observing and learning about the water & hose, but it's hard to say. Subjectively, it earns a C+ because it has the potential to be a fun activity... it's just not one yet!


Edit: Two weeks later, and Oliver is enjoying the hose and spray nozzle. He wants me to get it down most days when we go outside, and he enjoys spraying the flowers and the siding of our house with it. He doesn't really walk around with it at all; he just stands there holding it. It's entertaining for him now, though, so I upgrade this activity from a C+ to a B!

No comments: